Jakarta: A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores region early on August 17, Monday, as the death toll from a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake that hit eastern Indonesia days earlier rose to 54.
The latest earthquake occurred at a depth of around 10 kilometres, with its epicentre initially located at 8.57 degrees south latitude and 121.55 degrees east longitude.
The fresh tremor comes days after the magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck six regencies in eastern Flores Island, leaving a trail of destruction across East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) province. BNPB chief Suharyanto on Monday said that the death toll from the 7.7-magnitude earthquake had risen to 54, while authorities continued to assess casualties and damage. Rescue teams were providing medical assistance to hundreds of injured people.
❗️51 Dead, 5,000 Evacuated As Powerful 7.7 Quake Devastates Eastern Indonesia
Landslides and damaged roads have cut off communities as hundreds of aftershocks continue, with rescue crews pulling injured residents to safety and thousands of security personnel deployed across the… pic.twitter.com/nU8bI1343R
— RT_India (@RT_India_news) August 16, 2026
More than 12,000 people had been left homeless as of August 16, Sunday, with homes and public facilities damaged in the quake. The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said aftershocks were continuing.
Rescue operations underway
Authorities have deployed land, sea and air transportation, including 11 aircraft and helicopters, to deliver relief supplies and support evacuation operations in remote areas, including Palue Island in Sikka regency. A field hospital is also being prepared at Golo Dukal Stadium after the earthquake damaged Manggarai Regional Hospital and disrupted local health services.
Preliminary BNPB data indicated that 157 homes were severely damaged, while 41 suffered moderate damage and 148 sustained light damage. Critical public infrastructure was also impacted, including 87 educational facilities, 18 healthcare centres, six administrative offices and five places of worship.
To support relief operations, BNPB has dispatched extensive emergency supplies to the affected region. In Jakarta, a major airlift operation was launched from Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base to transport 50,000 aid packages weighing 275 tonnes. President Prabowo Subianto oversaw the initial dispatch of 10,500 packages that arrived at the airbase for immediate deployment.
Following the initial tremor, the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency issued a tsunami early warning, which was lifted at 7:30AM (local time) after monitoring confirmed there had been no dangerous sea-level rise along affected coastal areas. The events come following August 15, Saturday night, when Indonesia was struck by its third earthquake of the day.
Powerful Indonesia Earthquake Triggers Building Collapse pic.twitter.com/cuLcWPjEGs
— Firstpost (@firstpost) August 17, 2026
Sharing the details in a post on X, the National Centre for Seismology said that a magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck the Gulf of Tomini on Saturday night. This came as a magnitude 6.5 quake struck Indonesia on Saturday afternoon, hours after a devastating 7.7-magnitude earthquake in the morning. The powerful earthquake, which struck on Saturday, triggered landslides, blocked roads and damaged homes and other infrastructure, prompting the evacuation of around 5,000 people.
BREAKING : Visuals of Dark material appears in Lake Sano Nggoang, West Manggarai, Indonesia, following the M7.7 earthquake.
The phenomenon, locally known as “Ta’i Sano,” was reported .
Authorities have not yet confirmed whether the earthquake directly caused the appearance of… pic.twitter.com/642iCLnCVw
— World Updates (@Updatesofwworld) August 17, 2026
Many of those injured suffered broken bones. The quake was Indonesia’s deadliest since a 2022 earthquake in West Java that killed hundreds. As of August 16, a total of five refugee tents, 146 family tents, 200 folding mattresses, 400 mats, 400 blankets, 300 basic food packages, 100 kids’ kits, 10 generators, 100 hygiene kits, five water tanks and lighting equipment have been handed over to the Sikka Regency Government.
A port in Maumere was closed after its roof and walls collapsed, leaving debris scattered across the area. Residents said they remained fearful of further aftershocks. The disaster agency said nearly 1,000 aftershocks had been recorded since the main earthquake. Authorities continue to carry out search, rescue and relief operations in the affected areas as efforts remain focused on assisting displaced residents and assessing the extent of the damage.
(With Inputs from ANI)


















