Over 100 students fell ill due to food poisoning at Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education (LNIPE) in Madhya Pradesh’s Gwalior district, an official said on October 5.
The students are around 18 to 25 years old and they had food in the mess of the institute. They are undergoing treatment at a Government hospital in the district and are said to be in stable condition.
Superintendent of the Hospital, Dr RKS Dhakad told media, “Yesterday evening we got the information that this kind of incident has happened in LNIPE (Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education). We started all the preparations and made arrangements for beds instantly. Approximately 100 children were admitted. Everyone is being treated. Their initial symptoms looked like food poisoning. But we will know this only after the food that they have is tested.”
#WATCH | Superintendent Hospital Gwalior Dr RKS Dhakad says, "Yesterday evening we got the information that this kind of incident has happened in LNIPE (Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education). We started all the preparations… We made preparations for beds… pic.twitter.com/GFQqkBCX6I
— ANI MP/CG/Rajasthan (@ANI_MP_CG_RJ) October 4, 2023
There is no loss of life. One child is serious and he is on the ventilator. Apart from that student, five to six children are also quite serious. 97 children were admitted in front of him and their age ranges between 18 and 25 years, Dr Dhakad added.
The in-charge registrar of LNIPE, Amit Yadav told media, “The condition of the students is fine and stable. Only five students are in ICU out of which four are under observation because their BP is fluctuating. One child was critical at night, and now he is also in a stable state. Around 97 students were admitted in the night, later on Wednesday morning around 13 more students were admitted.”
An investigation will be done, he added.
A student, Prajanli Patel said that after eating food in the mess of the institute, there was a lot of pain in her stomach and head. Following the treatment, there was a little pain in her head and everything was fine.
Meanwhile, on getting the information about the matter, the district administration swung into action and reached the institute along with the Food Department team to collect the samples.
Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Vinod Singh told media, “Samples of the food items that were used have been taken and sent for testing. Importantly, milk and paneer are being tested and samples of all the spices or other food items used are being tested. Further action will be taken on the basis of the facts that come to light.”
(with inputs from ANI)