On October 25, Government upon recommendations of GEAC permitted GM Mustard GMS -11 variety which has been developed by CGMCP, South Delhi Campus, DU. This has become a very hot topic among farmers, consumers and Industry.
If farmers get financial support from Government and industry such as providing seeds DMH 1, DMH2, DMH3, DMH4, fertilisers, subsidies power for irrigation systems and incentives for diversification of crop pattern, and above all good attractive MSP, there will be no need of GM Mustard crop and production can easily be increased one and half times more.
Why GM Mustard should not be allowed in India
- GM Mustard is a herbicide tolerant and toxic hybrid that will dramatically increase the presence of toxic chemicals in our day to day food and soil.
- GM Mustard having allergic reactions and increasing antibiotic resistance. It will have negative health effects.
- Decision seems to have been taken in hurry and under pressure without going into details of losses which the country may suffer.
- Production per acre from DMH1, DMH 2, DMH 3 and DMH 4 varieties is more than GM Mustard seeds. Even the USA Agriculture Deptt has agreed at one point that GM varieties of seeds are not very effective.
- Honey export business from India will stop. Cottage industry of honey will die.
- Cake and DOC from GMO mustard also will have an effect on cattle and their products which are used by infants also.