New Delhi: Delhi Police has registered a case and launched an investigation into the violence and stone-pelting on Hanuman Jayanti Shobha Yatra and subsequent riots in the Jahangirpuri area of the national capital.
Five more people have been arrested on Sunday in connection with the Jahangirpuri violence, informed Deputy Commissioner of Police North-West Usha Rangnani. With this, fourteen people have been arrested so far, added the DCP. “One of the accused who opened fire has also been arrested. The pistol used in the commission of the crime has been recovered from his possession,” added the DCP.
“Case registered and investigation started… the police team present on the spot immediately contained the situation in the clash during Shobha Yatra in Jahangirpuri and maintained peace and order. A few policemen got injured in the process,” said Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Depender Pathak.
Two to three companies of Rapid Action Force personnel have been deployed in Jahangirpuri along with Delhi Police in the wake of the stone-pelting incident.
Pathak said that the situation is under total control and it is now peaceful.
“Situation is under total control; the atmosphere is peaceful. We are in continuous touch with people and are appealing to maintain peace and not pay heed to rumours. An adequate number of police officials are here for protection,” he added.
Meanwhile, heavy security forces were deployed in the Jahangirpuri area to maintain a law and order situation.
Clashes broke out after stone-pelting incidents were reported from the Jahangirpuri area in the national capital on Saturday evening during Hanuman Jayanti Shobha Yatra. Some people, including two policemen, have been injured. Delhi police have deployed heavy security in the area.
Several vehicles were vandalised by miscreants and police personnel have been injured in the incident.
Delhi Police Commissioner Rakesh Asthana told ANI that the “situation is under control”.
“The situation is under control in today’s incident in NW District. An adequate additional force has been deployed in Jahangirpuri and other sensitive areas. Senior officers have been asked to remain in the field and closely supervise the law and order situation and undertake patrolling. Strict action will be taken against rioters,” Asthana said.
“Two policemen were injured, we will take strict action against the accused,” he added.
He also appealed to citizens “not to pay heed to rumours and fake news on social media”.
Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Pathak also said the situation is under control and that the police force was trying to create a peaceful environment by holding talks with peace committees.
Police officials said miscreants attacked when the police tried to handle the situation on the spot. Stones were pelted on the procession.
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Amit Shah also spoke with Delhi Police Commissioner Rakesh Asthana and Depender Pathak over Jahangirpuri violence and asked them to maintain law and order, said official sources.
Shah, in a telephonic conversation with both the officers, also took stock of the situation after stone-pelting in Delhi’s Jahangirpuri.
Officials said that Shah also directed the officers to take strict action against the miscreants. (With inputs from ANI)