Babru (Urad Dal Stuffed Pooris) & Channa Madra
Himachal Pradesh, a beautiful destination not only for tourist for sightseeing but also for foodies. It has a unique taste in dishes that too without heavy spices. We bring out an auspicious recipe from the valley exclusively for you this deepavali.
Cuisine: Kangra (Himachal Pradesh)
- 8 2 cups Wheat Flour
- 8 3/4 cup All purpose flour / Maida
- 8 Salt to taste
- 8 1/2 cup Black Gram Dal / Urad Dal
- 8 Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
- 8 Oil for frying
For Channa Madra
- 8 1 cup Kabuli Chana
- 8 2 tbsp Ghee
- 8 3 Cardamoms
- 8 4 Cloves
- 8 Turmeric a pinch
- 8 3/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 8 Salt to taste
- 8 1 cup Curd
- 8 2 tsp Rice flour mixed in water
- 8 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
How to make Babru
For the filling:
- Soak the dal in water and leave overnight.
- Grind the dal to a paste, not so very soft, but not coarse as well.
For the Outer layer:
- Add the baking soda to the flour along with some water and knead it well.
- Pinch small balls from the dough. Flatten the sides of the ball and place small teaspoons of the daal in the center.
- Cover from all sides and seal well. Dust with flour and roll out medium size pooris.
- Heat a Kadai with oil and when hot, gently slide the pooris and fry on both sides.
- Drain on a kitchen towel and serve with Channa Madra
How to make Channa Madra
- Wash and soak channa overnight in water.
- Pressure cooks the channa till soft.
- Heat the ghee in a pan.
- Add cardamoms, cloves, garam masala, turmeric, cumin. Saute well.
- Then add the boiled Kabuli channa, combine everything well.
- Let it cook for couple of minutes.
- Then add beaten curds and mix well.
- Meanwhile mix the rice flour in water and then add to the pan.
- Simmer so that the gravy thickens and gets cooked.
- Cook with lid covered for 20 mins. Serve hot with Babrus.