Bharat

Tamil Nadu: TVK government withdraws circular barring college students from Left-led protests amid backlash

The Tamil Nadu government withdrew a circular directing government college principals to coordinate with authorities to curb students’ participation in protests organised by Left parties, following opposition from coalition partners and student unions. The move came amid a separate controversy over the withdrawal of a circular issued by Guziliamparai Tahsildar M. Ayyasamy seeking details of CPI and CPI(M) members.

Published by
TS Venkatesan

Within hours, the Tamil Nadu Directorate of Collegiate Education, on August 19, recalled a circular that had advised principals of government arts and science colleges to take joint administrative measures to prevent students from taking part in protests organised by Left parties and the Cockroad Janata Party (CJP).

Reacting to this, one of the netizens asked, “When a similar advisory came from Delhi University, the same ecosystem screamed ‘suppression of dissent’ and ‘attack on constitutional rights’.”

BJP leader Amit Malviya, in a post on X, said, “That is the message being conveyed by the Tamil Nadu government to colleges, the police and district administration, with instructions to coordinate efforts to prevent students and young people from joining protests. When Delhi University, JNU and Jamia did something similar to protect their students, the Congress ecosystem erupted in outrage and lectures on constitutional rights followed. Now, when a Congress-supported TVK government department is doing it, the same ecosystem has suddenly gone silent. Does a constitutional right become less sacred when the government of the day is politically convenient? Apparently, for our assorted Opposition, principles are negotiable and outrage is selective.”

Former Telangana Governor and BJP leader Tamilisai Soundararajan said, “I strongly condemn the Left parties for opposing efforts to keep students away from agitations. Our children deserve classrooms, books and dreams—not motivated street protests and battles. Their innocence and youthful energy must never become a tool for political mobilisation. Let our students study, learn, question, innovate and build their future with confidence. Their education is their right; protecting their future is our collective responsibility. Please don’t pull our children out of classrooms. Let them first become the architects of their own future.”

The circular dated August 17 directed college principals to coordinate with the School Education Department, Higher Education Department, police and district administration to curb youth participation in protests and agitations organised by the Left parties, who were extending outside support to the TVK government and the CJP. Principals had been asked to submit an action-taken report. Following outrage from coalition partners, namely Left parties, VCK and Congress, the TVK government, buckling under pressure, withdrew the circular with immediate effect without giving any explanation for reversing the decision.

Meanwhile, SFI has announced a demonstration on August 20 in Tamil Nadu, saying it is going ahead with its earlier announcement. It said the government cannot take away the fundamental rights of students to organise protests and participate in political-related events. “We will go ahead with our protest against TVK’s decision.”

Demanding the exact reasons for withdrawing the circular, as they are not happy with its withdrawal, they held a protest on August 19 in Chennai.

One of the netizens asked whether the circular was issued by the Chief Secretary. He asked, “CS issued these instructions during the monthly law and order review meeting. Following the meeting, the decisions were communicated through the Public Department, based on which these instructions were issued. Will the CS directive also be withdrawn?”

Another asked, “What will @abhijeet_dipke @SauravDassss do now? Will they outrage or not? Or is their intolerance only limited to colleges/universities in BJP-ruled states?”

In another issue involving the TVK government withdrawing a circular and transferring a tahsildar, Guziliamparai Tahsildar M. Ayyasamy has now been relieved from his post after he ordered revenue officials to collect personal details of CPI and CPI(M) party members in Dindigul district.

He issued this circular on August 18, 2026, instructing village assistants and revenue inspectors to list the names and addresses of Left party cadres following a local land dispute involving CPI(M) workers in Chinnaravuthanpatti village. The Dindigul Collector rescinded the circular after outrage and questions over its legality.

In the circular, he sought the names and addresses of CPI and CPM members in all revenue villages of the taluk. It was addressed to all revenue inspectors to collect the details and submit them to the tahsildar on the same evening (August 18). The local CPM unit has announced a protest at Gujiliamparai on August 19 against the time restrictions on meeting the tahsildar.

One of the netizens asked, “Will the Higher Education Secretary be suspended too?”

He said, “Why is the TVK government afraid of Left student unions, the very organisations affiliated to the CPI/CPM, whose support it relies on? If TVK is genuinely against NEET, passing a resolution is the easiest route, just as the DMK did. But profiling students based on their Left affiliation is something colonial and undemocratic governments would do. Even after the order was revoked, will college principals now unofficially target Left-affiliated students? These organisations have long raised issues ranging from basic campus amenities to wider civic concerns. This needs answers, not just an order being withdrawn.”

Share