Union Defence Minister Rajnath on Tuesday announced a ‘historic and transformative’ Agnipath scheme under which the youth of the country will be granted an opportunity to get inducted into the Armed services. The Agnipath scheme was announced after the Cabinet Committee on Security decided to implement the scheme as the recruitment plan for the armed forces.
“The Cabinet Committee on Security has taken a historic decision today to approve the transformative scheme of ‘Agnipath’. Under this, Indian youth would be granted an opportunity to get inducted into the Armed services”, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said while announcing the Agnipath scheme.
Rajnath Singh said that the Agnipath or the Tour of Duty scheme is focused on creating a youthful profile for the Indian Armed Forces. “It would help to train them for new technologies and also improve their health levels. This scheme will increase employment opportunities with new skills in different sectors,” Rajnath Singh said.
‘Agnipath’ Scheme at a Glance:
1) Enrolled in the Armed Forces for four years.
2) Enrolment from all parts of the nation utilising contemporary technology, practices, and systems, including specialised rallies and campus interviews at technical institutes.
3) Eligible age – 17.5 to 21 years.
4) Medical and Physical fitness standards as per extant norms.
5) Educational qualifications as per Terms and Conditions issued by the Armed Forces.
Conditions of Service:
1) Agniveers to get a package of ₹30,000.00 per month with a fixed yearly increment.
2) Risk and Hardship, Ration, Dress and Travel allowance as per extant norms.
3) Non-Contributory life insurance cover of ₹ 48 lakhs.
4) 30 days of Annual leave per year and sick leave based on medical advice.
5) Distinctive insignia in recognition of their youth and dynamism.
6) Entitled to Medical and CSD facilities for the duration of their engagement period.
7) Death and Disability Cover as per Terms and Conditions.
After Completion of Four Years: –
1) After 4 years, Agniveers will Return to society as disciplined, dynamic, motivated and skilled personnel.
2) Agniveers to get lucrative ‘Seva Nidhi’ package of approximately ₹ 11.71 lakhs, including interest comprising 30% monthly contribution by Agniveers and matching grant by the Government.
3) Angiveers to get the opportunity to apply for enrolment in the regular cadre in the Armed Forces.
4) Based on the organisational requirements, up to 25% of each batch of Agniveers will be enrolled in the regular Armed Forces cadre.
5) Agniveers enrolled as regular cadre on completion of four years to be governed by existing terms and conditions of the Armed Forces.
6) ‘Seva Nidhi’ package for individuals subsequently selected for enrolment in the Armed Forces will comprise only their contribution, including accrued interest thereon.