The case was reported in China’s Hebei Province, and the patient has been shifted to Beijing.
China reported the first case of deadly anthrax pneumonia on Monday (August 9). The patient, from northern Hebei Province's Chengde city, has a history of contact with animals.
The patient was shifted to Beijing four days back.
Anthrax is prevalent among animals (cattle and sheep). It is transferred to humans after coming in contact with sick animals or contaminated products.
People can get intestinal anthrax after eating contaminated food, usually by meat, but the most dangerous infection is anthrax pneumonia. It occurs when a patient inhales dust containing Bacillus anthracis and gets infected.
The US government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes, “If a bioterrorist attack were to happen, Bacillus anthracis, the bacteria that causes anthrax, would be one of the biological agents most likely to be used. Biological agents are germs that can sicken or kill people, livestock, or crops.”
Discussing the possibility of an Anthrax attack, it notes, “An anthrax attack could take many forms. For example, it could be placed in letters and mailed, as was done in 2001, or it could be put into food or water. Anthrax also could be released into the air from a truck, building, or plane.”