Gogra, or Patrolling Point 17A, was one of the key friction points between India and China.
New Delhi: In what is seen as a positive and forward-moving development, India and China have pulled back troops from this vital border location in eastern Ladakh.
With this, "one more sensitive area of face-off" has been resolved.
"Both sides have ceased forward deployments in this area in a phased, coordinated and verified manner. The disengagement process was carried out over two days August 4-5, 2021. The troops of both sides are now in their respective permanent bases," said an official release.
"All temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created in the area by both sides have been dismantled and mutually verified. The landform in the area has been restored by both sides to pre-stand off period," the release said.
The disengagement was the outcome of the 12th round of talks at the level of senior commanders held last Saturday (July 31), sources said.
"This agreement ensures that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides, and that there is no unilateral change in status quo. With this one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved," the release said.
Both sides have expressed commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector. The release further said: As conveyed earlier this week, the twelfth round of talks between the Corps Commanders of India and China was held on July 31 2021, at Chushul Moldo Meeting Point in Eastern Ladakh.
The two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on resolution of remaining areas related to "disengagement" along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of India-China border areas.
"As an outcome of the meeting, both sides agreed on disengagement in the area of Gogra. The troops in this area have been in a face-off situation since May last year."
Earlier on July 31, sources said that India categorically pressed for an early 'disengagement' of troops and weapons in Hot Springs and Gogra points during the meeting.
The Indian delegation was led by Lt Gen PGK Menon, commander of XIV Corps, ensuring security for the LAC with eastern Ladakh, while Maj Gen Liu Lin, commander of the South Xinjiang Military District, led the Chinese side.
“The Indian Army, along with ITBP (paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police), is totally committed to ensuring the sovereignty of the nation and maintain peace and tranquillity along the LAC," the statement added.
India and China have been engaged in a military standoff since May 2020 all along LAC in Ladakh since New Delhi first detected Chinese intrusions.