Intro: The theme of this year’s fest at IIT Roorkee is ‘Photonizing I’. If you thought it means an overdose of technical information, you’re wrong; it instead will be an interactive fest focussing on the necessity to empower individuals to rake in change.
Thirteenth edition of their Annual technical festival COGNIZANCE 2015 is spread over a span of three days. Cognizance is a conflation of over 180 events which will be held from 27th to 29th March 2015. A mélange of technical competitions, theme events, guest lectures, workshops, exhibitions, techtainment shows and much more will be celebrated.
One of the largest fest of its kind celebrated anywhere in the world and second largest in India, Cognizance attracts large participation both nationally and internationally. In its previous edition, it witnessed participation in excess of 3000 pouring in from over 1500 technical and management colleges from across the country in addition to the 5000 students of IIT Roorkee itself.
Society today has a tendency to suppress independent thought and action, with people trying to mould themselves according to acceptable societal standards. In this process, we are not becoming unique intelligent beings, but instead are turning into robots desperately trying to fit inside the box. Somewhere, there is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in. It’s the same light that dispels ignorance and photonizes the path leading to the subtle cognition of transcendence.With the backdrop of United Nation’s observance of International Year of Light & Light based Technologies in 2015, the theme “PHOTONIZING I” basically speaks of Individual Empowerment.
Cognizance 2015 provides a platform where each and every person can carve out their niche, and yet work in synergy to create a better tomorrow.
This year it is set to introduce following new dimensions into its already glorious repertoire:
- International Year of Light (IYL) Association: With the backdrop of International Year of Light being observed by United Nations in 2015, Cognizance is associated with International Year of Light (IYL) with the underlying theme of ‘PHOTONIZING I’.
- UNESCO’s Patronage: Cognizance 2015 has received Patronage under UNESCO this time and will be organising COGNIZANCE 2015 under their observance to have widespread impact through various activities among the youth of India.
- Zonal Events: With 12 zones spanning across India, the event aims to spread the technological know how and the innovative excellence at various zones through the organisation of unique events. Case-study competitions, robotics (GrowBot), coding events (Mindsweeper), quiz competitions (Quizzotica) and a one of its kind Zonal Workshop on Mobile Robotics and Embedded Robotics organised by Robotech Labs Pvt. Ltd.
- Social Initiatives: Based on social initiative/campaign upon the issue of Women Empowerment, by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, under the title of “We Men for Women”, the event organised during the fest will include Abhishapt ( A sketch making competition to depict the problems faced by women in India), including speakers and workshops on gender sensitisation.
- Mean Mettle (The Cognizance Auto Expo): It will help you experience a brilliant exuberance of the crème de la crème of the top-notch companies like Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc., will act as a launch pad for new and future vehicles besides being the platform for one to one interactions and business enquiries.
Our second Initiative will be inspired by ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ by Prime Minister Narendra Modi under the observance of Swajal India Project, Govt. of Uttrakhand for achieving a cleaner and better India.