Guwahati: The Centre on Wednesday (September 08) entered a Ceasefire Agreement with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland, NSCN-K (Niki Sumi Group), for one year, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said in a statement.
"Fulfilling the vision of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi of 'Insurgency free and prosperous North East' the central government signed the peace agreement with the Niki Sumi faction of NSCN-K. In a significant boost to the Naga peace process, under the guidance of Union Minister of Home Affairs Amit Shah, the Government of India has entered into a Ceasefire Agreement with National Socialist Council of Nagaland (K) Niki Group, with effect from September 08, 2021 for a period of one year," the statement said.
Over 200 cadres of this group, along with 83 weapons, joined the peace process. The Ceasefire Agreement and Agreed Ceasefire Ground Rules were signed on September 08, 2021. In December last year, the NSCN-K, led by dreaded militant Niki Sumi, announced a ceasefire and said that the outfit had contacted the central government to initiate peace dialogue.
The Government of India has already signed a Framework Agreement with NSCN (IM) and Ceasefire Agreements with other Naga groups: NSCN (NK), NSCN (R) and NSCN (K)-Khango.
The Government of India had signed an Agreement with NLFT (SD) in August 2019, by which 88 cadres, along with 44 weapons, joined the mainstream of society in Tripura. In January 2020, with the signing of the Bodo Agreement, over 2,250 cadres of insurgent groups, including all factions of NDFB, along with 423 weapons and huge quantities of ammunition, surrendered in Assam and joined the mainstream. On February 23, 2021, around 1040 leaders-cadres of various underground Karbi groups of Assam surrendered along with 338 weapons, followed by the signing of the Karbi Anglong Agreement on the 4th of this month.