7—Sama Chawal ki Idli
- 1 cup sama ke chawal (barnyard millet)
- ½ cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 2 pinches of baking soda
- Rock salt as required
- Soak for 2-3 hours.
- Water for soaking
- Take both the sama ke chawal and sabudana in a bowl.
- Rinse then well and soak in enough water for 3 hours.
- Drain and then grind in a wet grinder.
- No need to add any water as the sago grains absorb enough water to help with the grinding. But if you are unable to grind in your grinder then just add 2-3 tsp of water.
- The consistency of the batter can be a bit granular.
- Take the batter in a bowl and allow to ferment for 8-9 hours or overnight,
- Before preparing, add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Heat water in a steamer or an electric cooker.
- Add the baking soda to the batter and stir well.
- Pour the batter in greased idli moulds.
- Place in the steamer or electric cooker.
- Steam the idlis for 8-10 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Serve sama ke idlis hot or warm with your favorite coconut chutney.