Mildly spiced sweet and sour pumpkin dry curry.
- 2 cups pumpkin/kaddu or petha
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin (bhuna jeera) powder powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper/kali mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder/amchur or as required
- 1 tbsp peanut oil/mungphali ka tel
- 1 to 2 tsp sugar or as required
- Rock salt or sendha namak as required
- Rinse, peel and chop the pumpkin.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle the cumin seeds.
- Add the pumpkin, sugar and salt.
- Stir and cover the pan, simmer the pumpkin pieces till they are softened.
- In case the water dries up, then add about 2-3 tbsp water and cook.
- Keep on checking at intervals and if the water continues to dry, then add a few tbsp of water again.
- The pumpkin should not get mushy.
- Add the mango powder and simmer for a minute.
- Lastly season with roasted cumin powder and black pepper powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the khatta meetha kaddu with kuttu ki roti, amaranth pooris or singhare ki poori.
In Tamil Nadu, the Navratri is called Golu. People buy 100s of idols and try to create various settings that portray our culture and heritage. These idols and dolls are arranged in wood/steel stair specially built for this purpose.?