Jharkhand student protest leader Devendra Nath Mahto has alleged that he was assaulted by police personnel and prevented from leaving a Ranchi hospital to participate in an Independence Day Tiranga Yatra organised by students protesting alleged irregularities in government recruitment examinations.
Mahto, a leader of the Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha (JLKM), said he wanted to join the flag-hoisting ceremony and Tiranga Yatra at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, which has emerged as the main protest site for JPSC and JSSC aspirants.
According to Mahto, police stopped him when he attempted to leave the hospital and he suffered an injury to his chest during the confrontation.
The allegations have added another flashpoint to the prolonged student agitation in Jharkhand, which has centred on demands for transparency and an independent investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
The circumstances of the alleged assault could not be independently verified.
‘Only Nominal Freedom’, Says Mahto
Speaking about the incident, Mahto questioned why he was not being allowed to participate in an Independence Day programme.
“After 80 years, we have realised that we have got only nominal freedom. Under which provision of the Constitution am I being stopped?” Mahto said.
He also questioned whether citizens were free to participate in a Tiranga march on Independence Day.
In a post on X, Mahto alleged that a heavy police deployment had been placed outside his hospital room after he expressed his intention to join the march.
His allegations came as hundreds of students and supporters gathered at the Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium for the Independence Day programme and continuing recruitment examination protest.
Video Shows Mahto Being Stopped From Leaving Hospital
A video of the incident circulated on social media showed a security official blocking Mahto as he appeared to attempt to leave the hospital.
Several JLKM workers could be seen asking the official to allow Mahto to participate in the march. The official appeared to ask the workers to let the fasting activist rest.
The video, however, does not by itself establish Mahto’s allegation that he was assaulted or establish how he sustained the claimed chest injury.
Mahto subsequently addressed protesters from his hospital bed.
He appealed to the student community to remain united and alleged that outside elements were attempting to divert the movement and create divisions among protesters.
Mahto Has Been On Hunger Strike Since August 2
Mahto has been on an indefinite hunger strike since August 2 in support of the demands raised by students and government job aspirants.
The agitation is focused on alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission.
The protest has continued for more than three weeks, with students demanding greater transparency in the recruitment process and an independent investigation into allegations surrounding examinations.
Mahto was admitted to Sadar Hospital following an earlier march towards the Jharkhand Assembly that turned tense.
Police had used measures including lathicharge, tear gas and water cannons to disperse protesters during the confrontation.
The incident subsequently became one of the major flashpoints in the ongoing agitation.
Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium Becomes Protest Centre
Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi has emerged as the primary gathering point for the protesting students.
Students have been holding demonstrations and organising marches from the site as they press for action over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
The protesters have demanded cancellation of examinations facing allegations of irregularities and an independent investigation into the recruitment process.
Some student leaders have demanded a CBI probe, while others have called for an independent inquiry by a panel of retired judges from outside Jharkhand.
The movement has now expanded beyond individual examinations, with protesters arguing that the credibility of the entire state recruitment system is at stake.
Students Mark Independence Day At Protest Site
The Tiranga Yatra was organised as part of the students’ Independence Day programme at the protest site.
Student leader Ravindra Paswan had earlier said that protesters would use Independence Day to speak about the country’s freedom and would not focus their programme on their demands on August 15.
The programme was intended to combine the students’ continuing mobilisation with Independence Day celebrations.
Mahto’s attempt to participate in the event, and the alleged police intervention at the hospital, subsequently became a fresh point of contention between protesters and the administration.
Hemant Soren Promises Recruitment Reforms
Amid the continuing protests, Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren has said his government is committed to improving transparency in recruitment examinations.
Addressing the state’s Independence Day celebrations, Soren said young people were important to the government and acknowledged the need to restore their confidence in the examination system.
“For me, the youth of the state are very important to me and their faith in us. We have decided to bring changes in the system. Transparent examination will be ensured,” Soren said.
The Chief Minister has previously acknowledged concerns surrounding recruitment examinations and said allegations of irregularities would be investigated impartially.
He has also emphasised that those found guilty should face legal action based on evidence.
Government Launches ‘Chhatron Ki Baat – Chhatron Ke Sath’
The state government has also launched the “Chhatron Ki Baat – Chhatron Ke Sath” initiative to seek suggestions from students on reforms in the education and examination system.
The government has proposed several measures to make recruitment examinations more secure and transparent, including greater use of technology, timely publication of answer keys and OMR sheets, a fixed examination calendar and stronger accountability mechanisms.
The initiative is aimed at involving students, teachers, educationists and parents in discussions on improving the examination system.
However, protesters continue to demand action on examinations already facing allegations of irregularities, along with an independent probe.
Protest Continues Despite Government Assurances
The latest confrontation involving Mahto comes as the student agitation continues to intensify in Ranchi.
Protesters have repeatedly said that government assurances on future reforms will not be sufficient unless the allegations surrounding previous recruitment examinations are independently investigated.
They have also demanded accountability for anyone found responsible for irregularities.
The government, on the other hand, has stressed the need for evidence-based investigations and systemic reforms rather than declaring individuals guilty before an inquiry is completed.
With the protest movement continuing and Mahto’s hunger strike adding another layer to the confrontation, the situation remains politically sensitive for the Hemant Soren government.
The immediate focus is now on the health of the fasting protest leader, the administration’s response to his allegations and whether talks between the government and student representatives can prevent further escalation of the JPSC-JSSC recruitment controversy.
















