New Delhi: The Honourable Vice President of India, Sri M. Venkaiah Naidu, will be the Chief Guest for the inauguration ceremony of the Amrit Mahotsav celebrations of the Hansraj College Foundation Day on July 26, 2022. Prof Rama, the college Principal, informed the media of the details of this programme. She said that alongside the Indian Vice President, the programme would be attended by eminent dignitaries, including Prof Yogesh Singh, Vice Chancellor, Delhi University, Padma Shri Dr Punam Suri, President, Hansraj College Management Committee, Dr Shiv Raman Gaur, Treasurer, Hansraj College.
The inauguration ceremony of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations on 26th July marks the beginning of a series of academic and cultural events to commemorate this special year. Hansraj College, one of the foremost institutions affiliated to the University of Delhi, was founded by the DAV organisation on July 26, 1948. The first President of India, Bharat Ratna, Dr Rajendra Prasad inaugurated the current campus of the college. In the three-quarters of our illustrious history, the college has been contributing to nation-building in all spheres of activity be it academics, sports, culture, politics or industry among many others. The college alumni include achievers such as Shri Kiren Rijiju, Cabinet Minister of Law and Justice, Honourable Sri Om Prakash Kohli, Former Governor of Gujarat, superstar Shahrukh Khan, Flight Lieutenant Gunjan Saxena, Padma Shri Tomio Mizokami (Japan), Sri Gopal Subramanium, former Solicitor General of India, in addition to a host of illustrious civil servants and experts in the field of education, culture, media, cinema, politics, science and technology.
The college Principal informed the media that the commemoration of the Amrit Mahotsav of the college Foundation Day would begin with the unveiling of a statue of Mahatma Hansraj in the college campus and mark the beginning of a range of academic and cultural events. The college plans to invite eminent scholars for the Mahatma Hansraj Memorial Lecture series throughout the year. In order to promote social awareness, the college plans to set up centres for the conservation of the environment, women’s development, human resource development and wellness and rehabilitation within the campus. Making the celebrations of 75th year of its Foundation even more special is the plan to felicitate 75 of the college alumni in acknowledgement of their contribution to the corporate life of the institution.
She further said that the college will fund 25 research projects to be carried out by the faculty members and organise 75 seminars, conferences and workshops in the various departments and societies of the college at the national and international levels. The college also plans on conducting cultural programs, competitions and allied activities through the year. Moreover, this year the college also plans to organise ‘Rashtriya Ekta Samagam’, ‘Rashtriya Kesavaram’, ‘Pustak Mela’ and ‘Bhartiya Bhasha Sammelan’. Additionally, an art gallery will be constructed in the college campus this year, and the college plans to mount a special exhibition commemorating 75 years of its journey as an institution. Mahatma Hansraj Platinum Jubilee Scholarships in the fields of education, sports and extra-curricular activities will also be awarded to students of the college.
The college Principal reiterated her commitment to the task of building a strong foundation for its students and has been making continuous efforts to that end in recent years. This year will witness the inauguration of a new Science block, Canteen and a Research Centre in the college.
The principal informed the media that the college library, auditorium, amphitheatre, laboratories and other main structures will be named after illustrious thinkers from India. The college has always been keenly aware of its national and social responsibilities. As a part of the ‘Gynan Setu Pariyojna’, Hansraj College will extend its guidance to regional colleges in remote parts of the country in order to enhance the quality of education and the direct their growth as institutions. The college also plans to insure all its students through group insurance. In order to promote research, innovation and skill development amongst the students, the college will ensure theirready access to cutting-edge developments in various fields of knowledge. Prof Rama, Principal, Hansraj College, Ms. Alka Kacker, Vice Principal, Dr Shailu Singh, the convenor of the Foundation Day program and Dr Vijay Kumar Mishra, Coordinator of the Media and Publications Committee, were present at the press conference.
Programmes and Activities to be held during the Amrit Varsh of the Foundation of Hansraj College
• A statue of Mahatma Hansraj shall be installed.
• Mahatma Hansraj Memorial Lecture Series will be organized, under which, monthly lectures will be held, where the most eminent scholars and experts will speak on various aspects of Indian knowledge tradition, thought, philosophy, spirituality, education, culture, public consciousness, skill development, entrepreneurship, science, and technology.
• New centres will be established for subjects such as environment, women’s development, human resource development, wellness, and rehabilitation. The college has already begun the process of establishing some of these centres.
• 75 alumni of Hansraj College will be felicitated to highlight their valuable contributions.
• For the teachers of the college, financial grants will be provided for at least 25 research projects.
• 75 national and international seminars, conventions, workshops, etc. will be held with the cooperation of all the departments and societies of the college.
• Many cultural programmes, competitions, activities will be organized, in which the diversity and uniqueness of Indian culture will be exhibited. These programmes will include kavisammelans, ghazal sandhya, cultural evenings and cultural festivals.
• A book fair has been proposed to be held in the college.
• RashtriyaEktaSamagam, RashtriyaKhelSamagam, RashtriyaShikshaSamagam and Rashtriya Media Samvad, etc. will be organized, where representatives from across the nation will participate.
• BharatiyaBhasha Kendra (Indian Language Centre) will be established, following which, the college will organize the BharatiyaBhashaSammelan (Indian Language Conference), where eminent scholars of all Indian languages will participate.
• An attractive art gallery will be constructed, and an exhibition related to the 75-year journey of Hansraj College will be held.
• Mahatma Hansraj Platinum Jubilee Student Scholarships will be granted in various categories of academic, sports and extracurricular activities (ECA).
• The inauguration of a new Science Block, canteen, research centre, and other structures with sophisticated facilities is expected soon.
• Various major buildings and structures of the college, including the library, auditorium, amphitheatre, and laboratories will be named after saints, eminent scholars and intellectuals associated with the history of the college.
• Installation of Mitti Café (mud café), which will be run by persons with disabilities.
• The resolution to create a zero-waste campus.
• Under the “GyanSetu Scheme,” colleges from remote regions of India will be selected and will be provided with guidance and assistance for the enhancement of the quality of education.
• The students of the college are being provided with insurance through the group insurance scheme.
• Facilities such as Yoga training will be provided to all students of the college.
• Apart from all this, proposals will be made for the establishment of infrastructure that is necessary for research, innovation and updating of information and knowledge, and these establishments will be completed within a fixed amount of time.