New Delhi: The 'Mumbai Drug bust' case is turning murkier by the day.
A local court in Mumbai on Monday (October 4) extended the NCB custody of Aryan Khan, son of Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan, and two others till October 7 in connection with the seizure of banned drugs.
Sources say – the remand application for Aryan Khan submitted by the NCB alleged that shocking, incriminating material had been found on Aryan Khan's phone in the form of pictures. It was further alleged that Khan was responsible for 'procuring drugs for further distribution'.
Notably, Additional Solicitor General, Anil Singh, appearing for the NCB, sought further custody of the accused persons until October 11. He submitted there were links found in the WhatsApp chats on Khan's phone that indicate the existence of an 'international racket'. "There are five more connected in the case".
"I am of the view that investigation is of prime importance. Considering this aspect, the presence of the accused with NCB is necessary," the court said with regard to Aryan Khan's case.
For others, the court said, their custody is necessary with the NCB for detailed investigation and will be useful for prosecution and benefit of the accused to prove their innocence, a source said later. The trio was produced before the court after their one-day custody was given to the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) on Sunday.
Aryan Khan and the two others, Munmun Dhamecha and Arbaaz Merchant, were arrested on Sunday evening and produced before a special holiday court that remanded them to NCB custody till Monday. Six other accused – Nupur Satija, Ishmeet Chadha, Mohak Jaiswal, Gomit Chopra, Vikrant Chhokar and a drug supplier from suburban Juhu, were arrested late on Sunday and also produced before the magistrate's court.
Reports said Aryan Khan's advocate, Satish Maneshinde, opposed the 'custody' sought by the NCB and argued that his client had no criminal antecedents. Aryan Khan did not run away from NCB officers when the raid was being conducted. He said Aryan had allowed them to search him. The defence said no drug was obtained from Aryan and that he had gone to the ship as a 'guest' and an 'invitee'.
On Twitter, Aryan Khan's name has trended along with '#BollywoodDruggies' and '#BollyDruggiesShamingNation'.
"Don't need to say anything much. Everything depends on values you pass onto your kids….," one missive ran.
Another tweet went – "As per the Indian law, 23-year-old is an adult and not kid, so celebrity people pls donot treat him like a kid."