Cover Story: Poee
- 8 2 cups Maida / All purpose flour
- 8 1 & 1/2 cups Wheat flour
- 8 2 tsps Active dry yeast
- 8 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 1 cup water Water
- 8 1/2 cup Milk
- 8 1 tsp Sugar
- Combine the flour and salt in a big bowl, add the yeast mixture along with milk, water and mix well.
- Knead the dough till it is soft, adding a splash of water if it is too dry.
- If the dough is very wet, add some more flour and knead well. Continue kneading for about 5 minutes and then roll into a large ball.
- Keep it covered in a bowl, in a warm place for about 1 and half hours till it doubles in size.
- Knead the dough again and divide into 9 portions.
- Roll each portion into a round and flatten a bit, then make a vertical slash over the top in the centre with a sharp knife.
- With your fingers at the vertical slash, pull the dough apart gently from the centre to the sides.
- The ball will now look like an open book.
- Repeat with all the portions and place on a greased baking sheet and set aside in a warm place again till it rises –about half an hour to 45 minutes.
- Each portion will now look like a butterfly.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of each and bake in a pre heated oven at 200-210 C for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as breakfast bread or as an accompaniment to a curry dish for a meal.