A few days ago, the honourable Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, announced a radical and highly impacting Agnipath job scheme. This scheme on June 14th has paved the way for India’sIndia’s youth to build an illustrious career in the Armed Forces and a strong and prosperous India.
Recruiting the first-ever batch of 46,000 soldiers, sailors and airmen will begin this year on an all-India basis under the Agnipath Scheme. This, of course, has been authorised by Prime Minister Modi-led Cabinet Committee on Security.
Revolutionary Recruitment Scheme
This revolutionary scheme aims to recruit individuals (men and women) between the ages of 17.5 and 21 years into the Armed Forces below the rank of an officer, with the goal being deploying fitter younger troops on the frontlines, many of whom will be on a four-year contract. This will completely change the dynamic of the Armed Forces and overall give it a young image.
This visionary scheme provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the youth to serve their country and contribute to national development. The Armed Forces would become younger; it would bring down the average age of our forces from the current 32 to 26 and make it more vibrant.
All three services of the defence will offer prospective candidates an online enrolment scheme which is centralised, and interviews will be conducted by recognised technical institutions such as Industrial Training Institutes and the National skill qualification framework, among others. There will also be the prescribed medical requirements enlisted by the Armed Forces that aspiring candidates should meet. All applicants for the Agnipath jobs will be called Agniveers.
The other important aspect of this job scheme is that there is no gender bias and both young men and women are free to apply for any post. This will create a new window of opportunity for the young women of this country who aspire to join the services and serve the country. The icing on the cake is that the education requirement for becoming a General Duty Soldier is as basic as Class 10.
As far as the remuneration is concerned, it’s remarkable. The 1st year salary package starts with 4.76 lakhs per annum and goes up to 6.92 lakhs per annum in the 4th year of service. A Seva Nidhi package of approximately 11.71 lakh, including interest, will be paid out for post-assignment resettlement. What’sWhat’s more; this amount will be tax-free.
There is also a non-contribution insurance cover of 48 lakh rupees that is provided over the above. The payouts and increments will be performance-driven, and individuals will receive Agniveer Skill Certificates, which will help them post-release from service in pursuit of job opportunities.
Preference in Police
Already the State Police in various states and governments have announced that Agniveers will get preference in police recruitment owing to their training and duty performed in the Armed Forces. This will give the Police Department a much-needed technological and tactical advantage and overall up the quality of manpower on hand.
The first Agnipath recruitment rally will start in September-October 2022
Further, after completing four years of Agnipath service, the top 25 per cent of Agniveers will be retained by the Armed Forces and will be offered a permanent commission – a role in the Army. This will be based on merit, willingness and medical fitness, they will then be eligible to serve a full term of 15 years. The rest of the 75 per cent of Agniveers will be resettled in their second careers with the help of Seva Nidhi packages which is approximately 11–12 lakhs, as well as skill certificates and bank loans for starting their own ventures.
The Central Government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Modiji and Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singhji, have given 100 per cent financial commitment and upped the defence budget allocation to Rs 5,25,166 crore for 2022–23 which also includes Rs 1,19,696 crore for defence pensions as promised and delivered as part of the OROP scheme. The allocation for revenue expenditure for 2022–23 is Rs 2,33,000 crore for the overall maintenance of the establishments.
This scheme yet again demonstrates the kind of commitment and passion BJP has for the people of this country, especially the vibrant youth. With this scheme, the young men and women have a unique opportunity to get trained and discipline themselves and up-skill themselves during their stint in the world-class Armed Forces of India which we are all proud of and thereby serve Bharat Maa in their prime days.
Bharat Mata ki Jai!
(Writer is BJP, Bengaluru Central District Joint Spokesperson)