Kartarpur Corridor re-opening to be done following COVID protocol: MEA
August 18, 2026
  • Read Ecopy
  • Circulation
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Android AppiPhone AppArattai
Organiser
  • ‌
  • Bharat
    • Assam
    • Bihar
    • Chhattisgarh
    • Jharkhand
    • Maharashtra
    • View All States
  • World
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • North America
    • South America
    • Africa
    • Australia
  • Editorial
  • International
  • Opinion
  • RSS @ 100
  • More
    • Op Sindoor
    • Analysis
    • Sports
    • Defence
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Culture
    • Special Report
    • Sci & Tech
    • Entertainment
    • G20
    • Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
    • Vocal4Local
    • Web Stories
    • Education
    • Employment
    • Books
    • Interviews
    • Travel
    • Law
    • Health
    • Obituary
  • Subscribe
    • Subscribe Print Edition
    • Subscribe Ecopy
    • Read Ecopy
  • ‌
  • Bharat
    • Assam
    • Bihar
    • Chhattisgarh
    • Jharkhand
    • Maharashtra
    • View All States
  • World
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • North America
    • South America
    • Africa
    • Australia
  • Editorial
  • International
  • Opinion
  • RSS @ 100
  • More
    • Op Sindoor
    • Analysis
    • Sports
    • Defence
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Culture
    • Special Report
    • Sci & Tech
    • Entertainment
    • G20
    • Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
    • Vocal4Local
    • Web Stories
    • Education
    • Employment
    • Books
    • Interviews
    • Travel
    • Law
    • Health
    • Obituary
  • Subscribe
    • Subscribe Print Edition
    • Subscribe Ecopy
    • Read Ecopy
Organiser
  • Home
  • Bharat
  • World
  • Operation Sindoor
  • Editorial
  • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Culture
  • Defence
  • International Edition
  • RSS @ 100
  • Magazine
  • Read Ecopy
Home Bharat

Kartarpur Corridor re-opening to be done following COVID protocol: MEA

Kartarpur Corridor re-opening to be done following COVID protocol: MEA

Archive ManagerArchive Manager
Oct 3, 2020, 04:24 pm IST
inBharat
Follow on Google News
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsAppTelegramEmail
 

a_1  H x W: 0 x
 
 
New Delhi: India on Saturday asserted that any final decision to ‘re-open’ the Kartarpur corridor that was suspended following Covid19 would be taken in “accordance with the COVID Protocol and easing of restrictions”.
 
Answering media queries on the matter, MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava said: “As you are aware, the movement was suspended in the wake of Covid-19 outbreak. We remain in touch with all concerned authorities, including Ministries of Home Affairs and Health and Family Welfare. A decision on re-opening of the corridor would be taken following the COVID Protocol and easing of restrictions”.
 
The spokesman also sought to add and clarify that at the time of opening of the Kartarpur corridor last year and in the bilateral agreement signed in October 2019, “it was decided that both sides shall establish requisite infrastructure including construction of a bridge at Budhi Ravi Channel at the earliest for safe and hassle-free movement of pilgrims”.
 
In this context, he said there was “no progress” on the part of Pakistan.
 
“One year hence, Pakistan is yet to construct the bridge while it is ready at our end. A technical meeting with Pakistan was also facilitated, and two teams met on August 27, 2020. There is, however, no progress on the part of Pakistan,” the spokesman added.
 
Reports from Pakistan said, the Pakistan Ministry of Religious Affairs on Friday announced that the Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib Corridor on its side has been ‘re-opened’ as the COVID-19 situation in the country has improved.
 
As per the notification, Indian visitors have been allowed to come daily from dawn to dusk as per the bilateral agreement inked between two countries.
 
The Kartarpur Corridor was first proposed in 1999 by Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Nawaz Sharif, the two Prime Ministers as part of the Delhi–Lahore Bus diplomacy.
 
On November 26 2018, the foundation stone was laid down on the Indian side; two days later, Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan did the same for the Pakistani side on November 28 2018.
 
The corridor was completed for the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak on November 12, 2019.
 
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had last year compared the decision by the two countries to go ahead with the corridor to the fall of the Berlin Wall in November 1989.
 
Previously, Sikh pilgrims from India had to take a bus to Lahore to get to Kartarpur, which is a 125 kilometres journey.
 
Prime Minister Modi on November 9, 2019, inaugurated the Kartarpur corridor from the Indian side and also flagged off the first batch of over 500 Indian pilgrims.
Share
Tweet
SendShareSend
✮ Subscribe Organiser YouTube Channel. ✮
✮ Join Organiser's WhatsApp channel for Nationalist views beyond the news. ✮
Previous News

Kerala Medical Education Director Dr Ramla Beevi bans Raksha Bandhan in Govt medical colleges as the festival is Hindu

Next News

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath recommends CBI probe in Hathras incident

Related News

First FIR filed against Christian OCI under Maharashtra’s new Freedom of Religion Act, 2026 while trying to convert Hindus to Christianity

‘Soft Conversion’ Through Kirtan? First FIR against Christian under newly enacted Maharashtra freedom of religion act

(Left) Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato (Right) Students waged peaceful protest in Jharkhand against the irregularities sin paper leak

Jharkhand Exam Scam: Students hail JSSC-CGL cancellation; All activities linked to TDPL scrapped

J&K LG Manoj Sinha flags off Budha Amarnath Yatra

J&K: LG Manoj Sinha flags off Budha Amarnath yatra from Jammu; visits Shri Ramkrishna Paramhans ashram in Anantnag

India’s Defence Sector Rise: Self-reliance, indigenous military tech powering strategic edge & national security

Telangana CEO C. Sudharsan Reddy addresses the press on SIR draft electoral rolls after meeting recognised party representatives on August 17, 2026

Telangana SIR: Draft rolls published with 2.65 cr electors in 119 constituencies; claims, objections open till Sept 16

CJP's protest was inconsistent with egalitarian values that youth-led agitations often seek to project

Demeaning Bharatiya Women: Freedom of gendered violence

Load More

Latest News

First FIR filed against Christian OCI under Maharashtra’s new Freedom of Religion Act, 2026 while trying to convert Hindus to Christianity

‘Soft Conversion’ Through Kirtan? First FIR against Christian under newly enacted Maharashtra freedom of religion act

(Left) Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato (Right) Students waged peaceful protest in Jharkhand against the irregularities sin paper leak

Jharkhand Exam Scam: Students hail JSSC-CGL cancellation; All activities linked to TDPL scrapped

J&K LG Manoj Sinha flags off Budha Amarnath Yatra

J&K: LG Manoj Sinha flags off Budha Amarnath yatra from Jammu; visits Shri Ramkrishna Paramhans ashram in Anantnag

India’s Defence Sector Rise: Self-reliance, indigenous military tech powering strategic edge & national security

Telangana CEO C. Sudharsan Reddy addresses the press on SIR draft electoral rolls after meeting recognised party representatives on August 17, 2026

Telangana SIR: Draft rolls published with 2.65 cr electors in 119 constituencies; claims, objections open till Sept 16

CJP's protest was inconsistent with egalitarian values that youth-led agitations often seek to project

Demeaning Bharatiya Women: Freedom of gendered violence

Representative Image

Balochistan: Non-local labourers killed near Quetta in IED blast; Former Afghan commander shot dead by armed men

Members of leftist organisations present at the Jantar Mantar Protest

Youth and the nation: Reclaimed the awakened freedom

Tech Sovereignity: The frontier yet to be won

Sri Soundararaja Perumal Temple at Thadikombu near Dindigul

Tamil Nadu: Hindu Munnani demands CBI probe into Rs 200 crore Thadikombu temple property deal after Palani land case

Load More
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Cookie Policy
  • Refund and Cancellation
  • Delivery and Shipping

© Bharat Prakashan (Delhi) Limited.
Tech-enabled by Ananthapuri Technologies

  • Home
  • Search Organiser
  • Bharat
    • Assam
    • Bihar
    • Chhattisgarh
    • Jharkhand
    • Maharashtra
    • View All States
  • World
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • North America
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Australia
  • Editorial
  • Operation Sindoor
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Defence
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Business
  • RSS @ 100
  • Entertainment
  • More ..
    • Sci & Tech
    • Vocal4Local
    • Special Report
    • Education
    • Employment
    • Books
    • Interviews
    • Travel
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Law
    • Economy
    • Obituary
  • Subscribe Magazine
  • Read Ecopy
  • Advertise
  • Circulation
  • Careers
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Policies & Terms
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Refund and Cancellation
    • Terms of Use

© Bharat Prakashan (Delhi) Limited.
Tech-enabled by Ananthapuri Technologies