RSS Vijayadashami 2017/Key Takeaways : The Eternal Bharat is Reinventing Itself
Vijayadashami is the Foundation Day of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). The speech delivered by Sarsanghachalak on this day is considered as a commentary on the prevalent national scenario. This year also Shri Mohan Bhagwat took an overview of the situation and gave a call for social preparedness. Here are the key takeaways :
- We have assembled here to celebrate the auspicious occasion of this year’s Vijayadashami. However there is a shadow of sad incident of stampede that took place in Mumbai on this
Kushok Bakula Rinpoche
The Architect of Modern Ladakh
Famous as the Architect of Modern Ladakh, Kushok Bakula Rinpoche, was the guiding spirit for Ladakhi people to develop their way of life through a combination of traditional and modern education. The nations celebrates his birth centenary.
This year is the birth centenary year of Venerable Padmabhushan His Eminence Kushok Bakula Rinpoche, the 125th anniversary year of Swami Vivekananda’s historic Chicago speech and 150th birth anniversary of his renowned disciple Bhagini Nivedita. All of them manifested the same national vision of Bharat rooted in our heritage.
Cow slaughter has been the bone of contention between the Hindus and the Muslims in India since the Muslim invasion began in 712 CE. The animosity over this sensitive issue is still seen even after seven decades of Independence. In fact, no religion propagates sacrifice or qurbani of cow as religious or social ritual, not even Islam, as has been the general perception. And Mohd Faiz Khan, a young Muslim just wants to spread this message to the masses.
- With the objective of awakening this vision, Adi Kavi Valmiki chose Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram as the subject matter of his eternal epic Ramayana. One of the most revered saint of the Bhakti Movement Ravidasji Maharaj also spread the same vision amongst common masses through his deeds and words.
- To awaken the society towards national ethos and endeavour, it is a prerequisite that our intellectuals and thinkers get rid of the ill-effects of the colonial thought and mindset that has made our thought process self-abominating, confused and murky.
- Bhagini Nivedita is an inspiration for us all to be one with our eternal national vision and values.
- The Rashtra is not made artificially. Our Rashtra is based on sanskriti and people, which is unique and entirely different from the nation-state concept rooted in power. Our eternal life values that envision humanity as a global family, is our collective bonding spirit.
- When the same sentiments resonate in individual, familial and social dimensions of life, then only a Rashtra evolves in the real sense; gets the global recognition; can make a meaningful contribution to the humanity.
- We are partially experiencing this eternal truth in the present condition. The recognition and
acceptance of Science of Yoga and our approach towards environment gives a feeling of great
satisfaction and pride about our ancient heritage.
- Bharat’s strong and determined stand has been visible in the incidents like Doklam that makes us realise about our strength and at the same time provides new international standing to Bharat.
- In the space science also big achievements by our scientists are proving our intellectual power.
- On internal security front, systems are improving including the infrastructure facilities.
- Many initiatives like Swachhata Abhiyan are inclucating a sense of duty among citizens.
- There are attempts to introduce many small and big systemic reforms and to fundamentally change the thinking process in certain fields. This is kindling new hope among the common masses and raising level of expectations.
- The determination with which terrorist infiltration and
firing from across the border is being dealt with is appreciated. Security forces have been given the
freedom to do their respective duties. The provocative actions and propaganda of the separatists, their illegal financial sources and linkages are exposed. The positive effects of this strategy are visible on the ground.
Jammu and Kashmir
- There is an urgent need to take the benefits of
development to the masses in the entire State of Jammu & Kashmir, including the Jammu and Ladakh regions, without any discrimination and through
transparent and clean governance.
- The refugees are living in a miserable state for their decision to be in Bharat and remain as a Hindu. This is because of the discriminatory provisions in the State of Jammu & Kashmir that denied them the fundamental rights.
- We have to create conditions so that these brothers of ours can lead a happy, dignified and secure life like other Indians by availing equal democratic rights and fulfilling democratic duties. For this just work, necessary Constitutional amendments will have to be made and old provisions will have to be changed. Then and then only, the residents of Jammu & Kashmir can be completely assimilated with rest of the Bharat and their equal cooperation and share will be possible in the national progress.
- Along with the Governments, society also has a vital role to play in this process. The citizens living in
bordering areas are bravely and persistently holding the ground amidst incessant cross border firing and terrorist infiltration. There is a need to take additional efforts in the field of education, health, livelihood and national values in the Kashmir Valley and the remote border areas of Ladakh.
- The situation in Bengal and Kerala is known to all. The State Governments and systematically politicised administrative systems are not only apathetic to this serious national crisis but are also lending a helping hand to the anti-national forces. The Union Government, the State Government and the administration must take necessary steps to foil these nefarious designs.
- Nation has already been facing the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migrants and now Rohingyas who are being chased away from Myanmar have infiltrated and many more are ready to migrate illegally. They are being driven out of Myanmar due to their continuous violent and criminal separatist activities and linkages with the terrorist groups. Any decision regarding them should be taken by keeping in mind that they will definitely be a threat to national security and integrity. The Government seems to be thinking on the same line.
- In such a complex situation, success is not possible without cooperation of the entire society. For the
purpose, the entire Sajjan Shakti of these states will have to come forward fearlessly.
- Guarding borders and ensuring internal security is the responsibility of the Armed Forces, and they have been doing this with full vigour, commitment and sacrifice. However, at the Government level, there is need to equip them with adequate resources and improved communication. There are expectations from the society also of more affinity and respect towards our soldiers and their families.
- The same conclusion can be drawn on the economic front. For controlling corruption, bringing speedy economic development, introduction of welfare schemes to the last person standing, some bold decisions are being taken at the Government level. Yet, the requirement of an integrated and
holistic policy, which will take into consideration the diversity and various requirements of the nation and will address the needs of all the sectors and sections of society, is very much felt.
- The compulsion to move on the currently accepted global policies and standards, even if they are faulty and causing moral erosion and environmental degradation can be understood to a certain extent.
- However, it is also universally being recognised that all these policies and standards need a rethinking and nation specific unique models of development should evolve.
- People will also have to relentlessly insist on buying the Swadeshi products, while fulfilling their day-to-day needs and doing other purchases.
- A system should be in place to gather the realistic information from all the sources about the execution and impact of these schemes while percolating down to the lowest level through the administrative system.
- There is an enduring confidence in the sincerity of the Government, decisive nature to make the necessary
transformation, integrity and character of the people in important position and their diligence.
- Despite being faulty, the parameter of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is still used to measure the health and progress of economy. Employment, that is work for every hand and enough remuneration for sustainable livelihood, is a major consideration for us. The small, medium and handicraft industry, retail or small self-employed businesses, cooperative sector and agro and agro-allied sector make significant contribution in this and work as our
security net during economic upheavals.
- The roots of our family system are still strong and women are also contributing in family income through small business activities. The informal economy has less scope for corruption and generates more jobs. While reforming and cleaning the economic systems, although some tremors and instability is expected, it should be kept in mind that these sectors should feel the minimum heat and ultimately they should get the maximum strength.
- Altogether, our dream of presenting a model of antyodaya at domestic level and that of balanced, sustainable and dynamic economy at the global level is not possible unless our economic thinking is not based on decentralising economic production, restraining consumption, increasing
employability, conserving energy, securing environment and taking the individual on righteous path.
- In our country, industry, business and agriculture have not been considered as competing but as complimentary sectors.
- Agriculture is the large sector in Bharat. Our farmer is in pain today due to the onslaught of floods and droughts, export-import policy, meagre pricing,
mounting loans and losing everything once the crop is ruined.
- There is a growing sentiment that the new generation should not continue with agriculture. Resultantly, villages are getting empty and burden on the big cities is increasing.
- Appreciable schemes like crop insurance are being introduced, soil testing and e-
marketing for agriculture products are also useful steps in this direction.
- The measures like loan waivers are also signs of sensitivity and goodwill of the Governments but these temporary measures are not solution to the problem. New technology and traditional non-
polluting methods should be amalgamated for farmers so that they can do farming with less
investment and without getting into debt trap. New
technology also should be adopted after proper testing and ensuring that there is no adverse long-term impact on the health of soil, environment and human beings.
Cow Protection and Promotion
- For the farmers with low land hoarding, without irrigation facility, cow-based organic farming is the easiest way out for poison free and less capital intensive agriculture. Therefore, the Sangh swayamsevaks, saints of all sects, other voluntary organisations and individuals are
running activities of cow protection and promotion.
- Cow is not just revered in our sanskriti, it is also
included in Directive Principles of our Constitution and many states have formulated laws regarding the same.
- The utility of Bharatiya breed of cow is scientifically proven now for its nutritional, medicinal and agricultural values through research.
- Activities of cow-protection and cow promotion become more valuable when the cow smuggling has emerged as a serious issue especially in the bordering states.
- These activities are undertaken within the legal and Constitutional framework. In the inquiries, it has become amply clear that these activities and activists were not involved in any acts of violence or atrocities.
- Many activists who were peacefully involved in cow
protection were attacked and killed, which is neither
discussed nor being inquired. It is unfair to link the entire activity of cow protection with violent incidences or communal feelings.
- Many followers of Muslim faith are also involved in the activity of cow protection, cow promotion and
management of gaushalas. Some of them told me that the nefarious campaign going on against the cow-protection unnecessarily creates tension among the people of different religions.
- Cow-protectors and promoters who are piously involved in the activity should not worry or get distracted with the well intentioned statements by highly placed persons in the Government or remarks made by the Supreme Court. People who are criminals and involved in violent activities should be bothered about that.
- Irrigation system being the prerequisite for successful farming, we have to comprehensively think about the scientific management of the entire water resources.
- Government has already taken the initiatives regarding water conservation, water protection, river cleaning, ensuring continuous flow of river water, rejuvenation projects and tree plantation etc. At societal level also many people are undertaking non-governmental and effective programmes on water management, such as Rally for Rivers.
- There is hope that these efforts collectively will bring in a new prosperous model in agriculture and environment.
- During the colonial period, foreign rulers brought in many disastrous changes in the education system,
curriculum and management with the objective of
creating the sense of inferiority in Bharatiya social mind.
- New education policy should be carved out in such a manner so that education becomes affordable and accessible even to children and youth living in remote villages.
- The curriculum should remain free of all kinds of ‘isms’ and instead should be based on knowledge of seeking truth, leading to comprehend our nationality and national pride. It should inculcate the qualities of
self-confidence, desire for excellence, knowledge,
studiousness and hard work in each and every student along with the values of character, politeness,
sensitivity, discretion and responsibility.
- Teachers will have to bond with the students and
educate them with their own example. Right kind of infrastructure, along with equipments, libraries and
laboratories will have to be created. To end the commercialisation of education, Government schools and colleges should be run with a certain minimum quality.
- I am making this repetitive assertion in the hope that the long-awaited Education Policy will radically change the education system soon. The process of learning does not take place only in schools but our family system, social surroundings and institutions, festivals and other activities, movements and initiatives, and now even media, especially the internet media impact our thinking and actions. We have to save our innocent kids from these vicious circles.
- The incidences of citizens coming on streets for every small reason, resorting to violence, showing disrespect towards duties, laws and the Constitution are the direct outcomes of degrading moral
values and sense of responsibility in the society. Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar had warned about this in his last speech in the Constituent Assembly.
- The selfish politics thrives on differences, unrest and conflicts cropped up in the society due to evils of
exploitation, inequalities and insensitivities. This is the direct result of absence of samarasata. Along with the Sangh swayamsevaks, many organisations and individuals are already working relentlessly through their selfless connect and service and are trying to create the atmosphere of justice, empathy and samarasata.
- There are many worrisome examples of disintegrating family system and social travesty. Therefore, we will have to expedite the work of moral awakening at familial and societal levels.
- All aspects of civil life reflect these national sentiments. In this regard, Bhagini Nivedita says: “The Samaj is the strength of the family: the home is behind the civic life and the civic life sustains the nationality. This is the formula of human combination. The essentials of all four elements we have among us, in our ancient Dharma. But we have allowed much of their consciousness to sleep. We have again to realise the meaning of our own treasure.”
- In the present condition, the organised, qualitative and disciplined march of the society is as much necessary as the formulation of policies based on Bharatiya values by the Governments and an honest transparent and flawless execution of the same by the administration.
- The Eternal Bharat is reincarnating itself with the requirements of new age. All virtuous people with their efforts in various fields are ready to welcome it. Now social preparedness is the need of the hour.
- Since 1925, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh is striving for this. For the last 92 years, the Sangh is trying to build a nationwide conglomeration of karyakartas (activists) who have the clear understanding of the Rashtra and ready to work
relentlessly for taking this nation to the pinnacle of its glory.
- Sangh Swayamsevaks are active in each and every walk of national life and they are inculcating the sanskars through their presence. Swayamsevaks are running more than 1.70 lakh projects and serving the deprived sections by taking the society along. This is the unique and unparallel way of integrating and organising the society.
- The right policies based on our ethos, excellent implementation and cooperation of all Sajjan Shakti and on the basis of that organised, industrious and integral social conduct is the four fold combination that can lead to the manifestation of Bharat as an all-prosperous Vishwaguru in coming decades. This kind of conducive atmosphere is experienced everywhere, it is our duty to quickly seize this opportunity. I call upon everyone to join this process.
II Bharat Mata Ki Jai II
(The full text of speech is available on