Laapsi (Wheat Porridge)
Laapsi is a sweet and scrumptious dish specially made in Haryana on the occasion of Deepavali. Made of broken wheat pieces and ghee along with nuts, raisins and dry fruits, it is an easy to make and nutritious recipe. Even if you are willing to try it, read on for the recipe.
- 8 1 cup Broken wheat
- 8 1 cup Hot water
- 8 2 tablespoon Almonds
- 8 3/4 cup Sugar
- 8 Raisins
- 8 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 8 3/4 cup Ghee
- Soak the raisins in 1/2 cup water and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, add the broken wheat.
- Saute on a high flame till it turns pinkish brown.
- Add hot water, partly cover and cook on a medium flame till most of the water has evaporated.
- Add more water if the wheat is not tender enough.
- Once all the water has evaporated add the sugar, ghee and 1/2 cup water and stir well.
- Place a griddle or tava below the pan and cook on a low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with blanched almonds and pistachios.
- The laapsi is ready when the ghee starts oozing out from the sides of the pan serve hot and have a cool impression on your family and friends.